About this online workshop
This 2-hour online workshop is designed for writers who want to turn their book's 1st draft into a fully polished masterpiece, so you can secure a book deal.
In this workshop you'll learn from an experienced professional editor how to analyze your work with an editor’s eye to bring out the best possible story – one that is unique, compelling and suits the current market.
How will this workshop kick-start my writing career?
Workshop leader and editor Jessica de Bruyn will use in-class exercises and real-world examples to teach you these key elements of tackling any rewrite:
- The Synopsis
- Novel Structure: 5 Acts & the Hero(ine)’s Journey
- Plot vs. Story
- Character Development: Who's leading the story? What's their motivation?
- Point of View: Role of the narrator & narrative scope
- Side Characters & Subplots
- Three Questions to Ask Yourself
- Problem Solving & the Story Map
- Narrative flow & How to Handle Dialogue
- Knowing Your Crutches, Repetitions & Personal Style
- Clichés, Tropes, & Exceeding Expectations
- Editing Resources
- Current Market & Industry Standards
This workshop also includes:
- Detailed tips and tools that will help you improve your book and get published.
- A chance to ask questions of Jessica de Bruyn, live, or by email after the event. All questions will be answered!
- A video recording of the workshop emailed to you after the event.
Am I ready for this workshop?
YES! This workshop is open to writers of all experience levels and genres who are approaching the editing & polishing stage of writing a book, and who want to learn the best tools of the trade, under the guidance of an experienced professional editor.
Whether you have...
- Completed, or are near the end of your 1st draft
- Completed your 5th draft
- Never written a book
- Published numerous books
...Then you will benefit from this editing workshop. Join us to learn from a helpful mentor about how to approach your rewrite in the most effective way!
How does this work?
Join online: Participate in the workshop from the comfort of your home, anywhere in the world. You'll get to interact with Jessica and the other participants using video, audio, and text chat (or, you can lurk in the background - we don't mind!)
Ask Jessica questions live during the event, or send them in by email afterwards.
Space for only 25 writers.
We use Zoom for our webinars. Don't want to share your webcam? No problem, we won't make you!
About Jessica de Bruyn
This online workshop is led by Jessica de Bruyn,
As a substantive & structural editor, she specializes in juvenile fiction, speculative fiction, women’s lit and commercial fiction. She is also an experienced editor of non-fiction and literary fiction.