Next program begins on May 23rd, 2020!
In this 12-week writer coaching program you will work intensively with Literary Agent Sam Hiyate and fellow writers to improve your craft, create the best version of your fiction or non-fiction book, and learn how to pursue a publishing deal from an expert with a track record of launching bestsellers.
Improve your writing and create the best version of your book
Do you have an incredible story that’s bursting to get out into the world, but you can’t quite seem to find the right voice? Unsure how to structure it? Or maybe you have a completed manuscript, but want to make sure it’s polished and ready for publishing?
At the end of this 12-week program you’ll raise your writing and your book to the next level.
What to expect
What does this program look like from the inside? Here's a behind the scenes video from one of our programs.
Get published faster
Picture holding the first printed copy of your book in your hands, on store shelves around the world, and thousands of five-star reviews on Amazon. This 12-week intensive mentorship will help you get there.
This program is led by Sam Hiyate, a literary agent with more than 30 years of experience in the publishing industry. He’s published multiple bestsellers, and he knows great writing and what publishers—and readers—are looking for.
Boost your motivation in a supportive peer group
There is no better motivation for writers than to share your work and get instant feedback. In this program you will share your work (up to 20 pages each week) and receive helpful feedback and guidance from Literary Agent Sam Hiyate and other writers in the program.
Consider this a kind of “Writer Boot Camp” that will build you into a better writer, help you finish your book faster, and create the best, most polished product at the end of 12 weeks.
How will this program kick-start my writing career?
From our experience helping hundreds of writers with their books (and being writers ourselves), we know that writers improve fastest when they share their writing, get feedback, then incorporate that information into their work.
The best kind of feedback is from an expert in the field, someone who has guided numerous authors to bestseller status over a 30+ year career in publishing, like Literary Agent Sam Hiyate, who will lead this coaching program.
Because this program is limited to 8 writers, everyone will have a chance to share their work each week and receive critical feedback to revise and improve their manuscript, both from Literary Agent Sam Hiyate and their peers.
At the end of the 12-week program you will have part or all of a book written, and you will be well-positioned to publish, either traditionally or by self-publishing.
About Literary Agent Sam Hiyate
In his 30+ year publishing career he has launched the careers of numerous New York Times & Globe and Mail bestselling authors.
Sam has published bestselling authors including:
- Jennifer Close (Girls in White Dresses, The Smart One, The Hopefuls)
- David Gilmour (CBC's Gilmour on the Arts, Lost Between Houses, The Film Club)
- Mariko Tamaki (Skim, Emiko Superstar, This One Summer)
- Andrew Kaufman (All My Friends Are Superheroes, The Tiny Wife)
- Margot Berwin (Hothouse Flower, Nine Plants of Desire)
- Lee Matthew Goldberg (The Mentor, Slow Down)
- Rupinder Gill (On the Outside Looking Indian)
He teaches creative writing at the University of Toronto and publishing at Ryerson University.
- Duration: 12 weeks. Next program begins on May 23rd, 2020 (tentative).
- Meetings: Saturdays from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM, Eastern Time (Toronto/NYC) Weekly (tentative).
- Share your work at any time on our private Slack channel for feedback and discussion.
- (Video: How does Slack work?)
- Weekly: Slack Check-ins from Literary Agent Sam Hiyate who will provide feedback on your writing and guidance on your project.
- Most Weeks: 2-hour, live group video chat sessions with Sam and your peers.
Who is this program for?
- “The Novice”: Writers who have an idea.
- “The Dabbler”: Writers who have some chapters written.
- “The Finisher”: Writers who have a completed manuscript.
- Fiction or non-fiction writers who are willing to write & revise up to 20 pages weekly to share for weekly feedback.
- Writers who want to accelerate their progress toward publishing in a 12-week, intensive coaching program, under the guidance of an expert literary agent.
- Self-published authors who were not happy with the success of their previous book(s).
Who is this program NOT for?
We have designed a program that’s meant to support writers who are at many stages in the writing process, but this is not for everyone. The format and approach will likely not suit the following writers:
- Writers with a completed manuscript who are unwilling to make potentially major changes to their book.
- Writers with a polished manuscript who are primarily interested in learning how to land a publishing deal.
Traditionally published authors who are already familiar with writing process challenges including finishing multiple drafts, seeking peer feedback, working with an editor, querying an agent, and landing a book deal.
- Writers who are unwilling to write and submit new work weekly.
Tentative Weekly Schedule, May-August 2020
- May 23: Introductory video chat and first sharing & feedback session
- May 30: Video session
- June 6: Slack session
- June 13: Video session
- June 20: Slack session
- June 27: Video session
- July 4: Writing catch-up week
- July 11: Slack session
- July 18: Video session
- July 25: Slack session
- Aug. 1: Video session
- Aug 8: Slack session
- Aug 15: Video session
- Aug 22: Potential Catch Up/Bonus Session
In this program you will improve your writing, create the best version of your book, and get published faster, all under the guidance of an expert literary agent with more than 30 years of experience, in a supportive, motivating environment surrounded by your peers. The cost for 12 sessions and ongoing engagement via Slack is USD $995 (approx. CAD $1,395).
Want even more intensive mentorship?
- Add a 45-minute 1-on-1 session with Sam Hiyate for $121.50 (10% discount)
- Add 3x 45-minute 1-on-1 sessions with Sam Hiyate for $344.25 (15% discount)
- Add 5x 45-minute 1-on-1 sessions with Sam Hiyate for $540 (20% discount)
Our Guarantee: In our company’s 3-year history we’ve never needed to issue a refund because a client was unhappy. Still, in the unlikely event that you become our first, we will return 100% of your payment.
Enrol in this program and you'll also get:
- A free seat in our next How to Write & Sell Your Book workshop (US $89)
- A free 1-year print subscription to Raconteur Literary Magazine (US $60)
- 10% off 1-on-1 meetings with Sam Hiyate for life
- 10% off all our editing services for life
What writers are saying about Sam Hiyate
"I can’t remember a more enjoyable and informative presentation. Sam's stories from the world of publishing vividly illustrated his points. His ability to focus on each person’s work and rearrange elements showed directorial genius… I am very glad I attended and look forward to querying Sam when I am further along in [my writing].”
– Tim Christian, Victoria
"I had a wonderful time with Sam yesterday. Could you please extend my appreciation to him for his time and all his invaluable advice? I cannot thank you and Sam enough for organizing this unique opportunity for new novelists such as myself. I hope to have another meeting with him in the future."
– Yale Wang, Toronto
“What I love about working with Sam is that it gives me a greater understanding of the industry. You can try to study creative writing in a class, but it's hard to learn what will set you apart until you work with someone who sells books for a living! If your goal is to eventually publish, I think Sam's advice and support is invaluable. He has added tremendous value to my near-finished manuscript.”
– Amy Dixon, Toronto
We stand by our services with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, but we realize that life happens. If you need to withdraw from the program early, here are our refund policies:
- 50% refund before session 4
- No refunds after session 4
Contact us and we'll be happy to discuss your specific situation and answer all questions.