45-minute, 1-on-1 video consultation with author Cecilia Lyra, including a pre-reading of 20 pages of your manuscript & book synopsis
About the 1-on-1 Meetings
Who better to review your work—and to answer questions you might have about the publishing industry—than a published author?
Author Cecilia Lyra will meet you 1-on-1 via video chat to give detailed feedback about your manuscript or book proposal. This includes:
- 45 minutes 1-on-1 with a twice-published author
- A thorough pre-reading of 20 pages (double-spaced) of your writing
- A close look at your synopsis or book outline
- A chance to ask any questions you might have about the publishing industry
What Cecilia Can Help You With
The structure of our one-on-one sessions is flexible and it’s a great chance for a casual Q&A. Writers are encouraged to ask questions about their work and about the publishing industry. Cecilia is committed to offering advice that is both compassionate and pragmatic—and, after reading your work, her insight will be tailored to you.
Some topics writers have asked Cecilia to speak about include:
- Breakdown of the journey to getting published—brief outlining of each stage, from idea to published novel.
- Who are the parties involved in getting a book traditionally published? Cecilia can discuss the role of beta-readers, mentors, agents, editors, and more.
- What are comps? And why are they so important?
- Do I need to have a platform to be traditionally published?
- Do I really have to write a full manuscript before querying an agent?
- What is an elevator pitch? And how can I come up with one for my work?
- Creative nonfiction—what does that mean, anyway? And how can writers tackle this ever-popular genre? Hint: it’s a slice of life with the story arc found in traditional fiction.
Cecilia can also add value to your writing by sharing her insights on:
- How to make a strong first impression. Cecilia can help you craft first pages that capture your reader’s attention from the very first line.
- Your story’s central conflict. Cecilia can offer her perspective on your story’s central conflict and share tips on how to best explore it—everything from conflict introduction to development, direction (and misdirection), pace, climax, and resolution—an essential skill for any writer.
The importance of scene. Writing a novel can feel like an enormously daunting task until you learn one simple rule: it’s all about scene. Cecilia can talk to you about the fundamentals of scene writing—five senses, pace, climax, entering and leaving flashback, dialogue tags, scene variety, adding emotion, and character perspective—which will allow you to break down your story’s arc into a manageable, undaunting task.
About Cecilia Lyra
Cecilia is the author of THE SUNSET SISTERS and THE FAITHFULS. Cecilia specializes in literary and commercial adult book club fiction that feature diverse, layered characters and unexpected plot twists.
She adores writers such as Curtis Sittenfeld, Liane Moriarty and Elin Hilderbrand. As a feminist, Cecilia loathes the term women’s fiction—it’s just fiction—but, for the purposes of clarity, that is her favourite genre. Cecilia is also a fan of unique and compelling narrative non-fiction and memoirs such as the works of Esther Perel, Roxane Gay and Tara Westover.
She is a lover of wine and all things chocolate, and the proud mother of Babaganoush, an English Bulldog. She is also a recovering lawyer, but asks that you do not hold that against her.
How this Works
Once you purchase your session, we'll email you within 2 business days to schedule a meeting date and time, and to chat about any specific requirements or requests you have.
We'll need to receive your manuscript pages and your synopsis 5 days in advance of your meeting so that Cecilia has a chance to read them thoroughly.
At the time of your meeting, Cecilia will contact you by video chat to dive right in!
You'll walk away with excellent insight from a professional about how to write, improve, market and sell your book or other work!